I was lucky enough to be invited to join Dermalogica and Gert-Johan Coetzee for their presentation on all things summery. Despite the chilly weather we've been having lately, this presentation had me so excited for the beach holiday season. Today's post is a recap on the event and all the interesting stuff that I learnt.
Dermalogica really has become my tried and tested go-to skin care of choice this year through my terribly dry skin this winter and now with the need for great skin care in the hot summer months. Generally I wear SPF 40 on my face year round regardless of whether I am going to be indoors or outside and I love that Dermalogica incorporates high factor SPF into my daily routine when so many other skin care ranges only provide you with low factor SPF. I live in fear of sun damage to my skin so I really do take sun protection very seriously.
Sonette from Dermalogica gave such a wonderful presentation on the importance of sun protection that I learnt so much about what to look for in a great product that I never knew before, even though I'm pedantic about this topic. Here are a few key points she touched on:
- The SPF (sun protection factor) stated on the bottle of your sun screen only relates to the protection of UVB rays from the sun.
- To ensure that your skin is protected from UVA rays, your sun screen needs to specifically say that it provides UVA protection.
- The best sun screen will say that it provides broad spectrum protection.
- Sun screens can come in the form of physical or chemical protections. The physical protection is the thick white creamy texture that needs to be rubbed well into the skin. The chemical protection comes in the form of oils or sprays and does not have the white creamy texture of the physical one.
Gert-Johan Coetzee, South Africa's most loved fashion designer, had a few wonderful tips on summer fashion for this season. His tips are fantastic for any woman and all of us in the room during his presentation were inspired to make some changes in our own lives. Here are a few of his key points for staying fashionable and stylish this summer:
- Tropical prints: we keep seeing more and more of this print and it's the perfect way to be fun and flirty this summer. Tropical prints are now widely available so there something in this print that is perfect for a woman of any budget. It is such a versatile print that it can be dressed up for a night out or worn on the beach which we love!
- Gold metalic sandals are a winner.
- Nude shoes elongate your legs and we all love that! Be careful though, nude is not a colour, it is simply a shade darker than your skin tone. If it isn't a shade darker than your skin tone, it is beige and not nude.
- Clear out your wardrobe. Separate your entire wardrobe into three piles: give away, keep and maybe piles. Box up your maybe pile and stick it in the garage. If after a few months you haven't needed anything in that box, donate it to charity.
- Once you've cleared your wardrobe, assort your clothes into colours and repack them according to colour categories. This will make your life much easier when you're trying to put together a wonderful outfit.
I hope this post has you feeling beach ready and that you've learnt a few things about being stylish in summer but also staying safe by keeping your skin protected throughout these hot months. Let me know what you think! To follow more of the conversation, you can search for the hashtag #SummerSkin&Fashion and follow @dermalogicasa and @gertjohan on Twitter and Instagram.
Second Image source: Here