Arum Lilea's guide to Dressing for Work


 Identity cardigan | Mr Price shirt and skirt | bag borrowed from my sister | Sass Diva accessories |
Aldo heels

Hi Girls

Most of my friends have just finished university and entered into the professional working environment as lawyers or accountants.  We have been discussing the wardrobe changes required for the transition from studying to working and I thought I'd share my tips with you.

You've worked hard to enter a profession.  Your image should reflect your work ethic.  A girl with a sloppy shirt portrays a person satisfied with sloppy work. 

Don't be afraid of colour.  Many people believe that work clothes means you are restricted to black and white but you can break this misconception with pretty colours and still look professional.  

Don't show too much skin.  Keep your hem line fairly close to your knee, no thighs please ladies!  It's a good idea to keep your shoulders covered too.  A great way to do this is to wear a cardigan.  This keeps you looking polished and prevents shivers from the office airconditioner too.

Make use of a bag that's a practical size.  You may need to rush around with your laptop and it's never a bad idea to have a pair of flats in your bag either.

Simple accessories are perfect for work.  Great earrings, a watch and a bangle is more than enough.

  Try to keep your hair off of your face.  You can have fun with the way you do this by making use of a headband, braids, a sophisticated ponytail or a sock bun.  Just because you keep your hair off your face doesn't mean you need to look boring!

I hope these tips are helpful!  Let me know what you think.

xxx



Labels: , ,

Arum Lilea: Arum Lilea's guide to Dressing for Work

Thursday 24 January 2013

Arum Lilea's guide to Dressing for Work


 Identity cardigan | Mr Price shirt and skirt | bag borrowed from my sister | Sass Diva accessories |
Aldo heels

Hi Girls

Most of my friends have just finished university and entered into the professional working environment as lawyers or accountants.  We have been discussing the wardrobe changes required for the transition from studying to working and I thought I'd share my tips with you.

You've worked hard to enter a profession.  Your image should reflect your work ethic.  A girl with a sloppy shirt portrays a person satisfied with sloppy work. 

Don't be afraid of colour.  Many people believe that work clothes means you are restricted to black and white but you can break this misconception with pretty colours and still look professional.  

Don't show too much skin.  Keep your hem line fairly close to your knee, no thighs please ladies!  It's a good idea to keep your shoulders covered too.  A great way to do this is to wear a cardigan.  This keeps you looking polished and prevents shivers from the office airconditioner too.

Make use of a bag that's a practical size.  You may need to rush around with your laptop and it's never a bad idea to have a pair of flats in your bag either.

Simple accessories are perfect for work.  Great earrings, a watch and a bangle is more than enough.

  Try to keep your hair off of your face.  You can have fun with the way you do this by making use of a headband, braids, a sophisticated ponytail or a sock bun.  Just because you keep your hair off your face doesn't mean you need to look boring!

I hope these tips are helpful!  Let me know what you think.

xxx



Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

At 24 January 2013 at 12:24 , Blogger Sabrina said...

Oh so pretty and you look so summery,love it ;)

 
At 24 January 2013 at 13:34 , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes this is such a beautiful look for work but also special occasion!

Kisses,

Janice

 
At 24 January 2013 at 13:58 , Blogger Miss Aggie Kwong said...

i love how u use pink on pink in your outfit.
gorgeous u!!

I absolutely adore your blog. Your style is great with wonderful pieces.

Following u now via Goggle +/ bloglovin/ facebook. Follow me back if you like! ♥
Say meow to me on:
Miss Aggie Kwong
Facebook: Miss Aggie Kwong

 
At 24 January 2013 at 14:26 , Blogger Yuriza Astari Rizkyta said...

lovely outfit! you look beautiful :)

 
At 24 January 2013 at 15:39 , Blogger Aleksa Klassen said...

I love this skirt with stripes! your style is very elegant)
following you now)
follow me back if you like my blog)
xoxo from Russia

 
At 24 January 2013 at 15:43 , Blogger Sienna Ana Belic said...

cute :)
there's a new giveaway on my blog, check it out:
http://www.fashionintheair.com/2013/01/giveaway-win-shoes-by-ahaishopping.html

 
At 24 January 2013 at 16:44 , Blogger Kathleen said...

This is a beautiful outfit, and great advice as well! I love the pink. Perfect for spring!

 
At 24 January 2013 at 17:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You my dear, are just the cutest thing. I love seeing modest fashion blogs, you are do classy. :) Keep posting!

Xo
Love from the USA
Hailey Devine
www.somethingdevineblog.com

 
At 24 January 2013 at 18:18 , Blogger Judy said...

Pink for the win! Love everything about this outfit.

 
At 24 January 2013 at 18:46 , Blogger Lauren said...

Great post! I love how you incorporated so much pink into this outfit, while still looking classy and staying true to your style..thanks for the inspiration! xo

 
At 24 January 2013 at 18:57 , Blogger Unknown said...

Lindo o scarpin, parecido com um que eu tenho.
Beijos

www.olhaeuquefiz.blogspot.com.br

 
At 24 January 2013 at 19:05 , Blogger Unknown said...

Love the lady-like outfit! The pink is so cute.

 
At 24 January 2013 at 19:09 , Blogger Amy said...

Great tips and the pink is adorable and soft too!
http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

 
At 24 January 2013 at 19:34 , Blogger Lili said...

great and fun work attire!

love from california

 
At 24 January 2013 at 20:55 , Blogger Unknown said...

love the stripes so cute!

love from San Francisco,
Britt+Whit

 
At 24 January 2013 at 22:47 , Blogger Unknown said...

You are welcome to visit the MAC lipstick giveaway now on my blog!
www.therainstreet.blogspot.com

 
At 25 January 2013 at 00:02 , Blogger Christal said...

Such great choices! I would definitely wear this!

xx Christal xx
LipstickAndPonytails.com

 
At 25 January 2013 at 00:07 , Blogger t said...

Nice outfit! I like the pink!

http://initialed.blogspot.com

 
At 25 January 2013 at 01:27 , Blogger bree lena said...

Love the earrings! New follower
aBreeFashion.blogspot.com

 
At 25 January 2013 at 03:58 , Blogger anoddgirl said...

gorgeous outfit! Very classy and perfect for work
xx
http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

 
At 25 January 2013 at 05:55 , Blogger Kelly said...

I love the skirt, this color is so great on you!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

 
At 25 January 2013 at 06:41 , Blogger Jade Wright said...

Most beautiful lawyer in South Africa :)

Love the Mr. Price skirt? Is it a new find? Saw a black striped one that looked similiar in one of their posters the other day.

Think it's time for another Mr. Price haul :)

Have a lovely weekend!

J

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

 
At 25 January 2013 at 14:37 , Blogger Unknown said...

so beautiful style!
u got an amazing blog and Im following !
hope u like to follow me back...

xxx Ros.e.
http://tramped-rose.blogspot.gr

 
At 25 January 2013 at 16:28 , Blogger Denise Lopatka said...

love this outfit and your work tips! I am always wondering how to dress for work and not feel "stuffy." Love love your blog and am so glad I found it! Newest follower :)

 
At 26 January 2013 at 00:28 , Blogger Jacqueline (Chic Advisor) said...

Great blog and photos!
Now following. Keep in touch.

Cheers, Jacquie
http://chicadvisor.blogspot.ca/

 
At 26 January 2013 at 11:16 , Blogger Fashion Gossip said...

Cute!!

 
At 26 January 2013 at 16:59 , Blogger brooke said...

this is an absolutely perfect, professional look. your tips are spot on, especially the one about color. i have to consciously wear color in the winter to work!

www.insparisian.com

 
At 26 January 2013 at 19:32 , Blogger shayla. said...

love your skirt!

 
At 28 January 2013 at 05:59 , Blogger JKal said...

Beautiful and Creative blog!
I just followed you!!!

Follow back if you share the same thoughts on mine.
Josie

www.jkvintageaffair.blogspot.ca

 
At 28 January 2013 at 09:07 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Jade. You're so sweet. Yes, it is new. I saw that they still have them in pink and in black on the weekend. xxx

 
At 5 February 2013 at 20:28 , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great post! Your outfit is gorgeous, and your tips on how to style a work outfit are perfect. I sometimes struggle on days I know I'm meeting with a client because I don't want to be too flashy, but I don't want to be stuffy either. I'm so happy I found your blog and am now following you. I hope you'll give my blog a read, too. :)

http://glittleplace.blogspot.com/

 
At 5 February 2013 at 21:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi April!

I'm delighted that my tips were helpful to you. Thanks so much for reading!

xxx

 
At 6 February 2013 at 21:06 , Anonymous dressingd said...

Hey Leanne, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. Glad I got a chance to take a look at yours! Your tips are right on point! You can be true to yourself but should always look the part. Keep in touch D :)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love sweet messages and I read each and every one.

Come again soon!

xxx

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home